Thursday, June 24, 2010

What has Mike been up to recently?

Well, I figure it’s been a while since I (Mike) wrote an entry on here for you to read.

On May 14, 2010, my contract at LifeSecure through the Halo Group was terminated.  The official reason was they had no further work for me to do.  Unofficially, I think they had some bad news handed out to them.  On May 12, 2010, there was a board of directors meeting.  LifeSecure is a subsidiary of Blue Cross / Blue Shield of Michigan.  As such, they invited the President of BC/BS of MI to their board of directors meeting.  I think they delivered some “bad news” since two days later they let 3 of us contractors go and gave another employee their two week notice.

Well, I promptly opened up my contact list of recruiters that I’ve interacted with and let them know I was on the market.  I also updated my Dice & Monster resumes.

After a few interviews, both in person and on the phone, I’ve got a job starting on Monday, June 28th at Harmon Becker International.  This is the parent company of brands such as Harmon/Kardon, JBL, and Infinity Audio.

Specifically, I will be a programmer working in ActionScript / Flash for a new car stereo head unit they’ve been contracted to work on.  The embedded computer in it runs Qnx which has had Flash ported to it.  Not “Flash Light”, but full bore Flash.  I’m figuring it’s Rev 9 based, not the new Rev 10. 

Now, I wouldn’t consider myself an ActionScript person, but I have worked in it before.  And it is a close cousin to JavaScript, which I have been working a lot in for the last year, so I feel reasonably comfortable diving in to ActionScript.

On a completely different topic, some of 2010-06-23 14.50.36you on Facebook may have seen me talking about having knee surgery this week.  On Tuesday, June 22nd, I had arthroscopic knee surgery to fix a torn meniscus in my left knee.  I’ve kinda seen this coming for the last 10 years as my knees have been wearing down. 

Next month, I’ll be seeing the same surgeon to get started on fixing the right knee.

Well, that’s all the thoughts I have for now.  Until next time…..

 

-Mike

1 comment:

Arid-zona Mom said...

hey I get to have a torn meniscus fixed on my left knee too! I'll have my surgery next wednesday. How long did it take to recover?